Platov South-Russian State Polytechnic University (NPI) is the first institution of higher education established as Don Polytechnic Institute in the South of Russia more than 100 years ago (in 1907). Over the period since its establishment the University has been renamed several times: in April 1930 the university was divided into seven independent institutions, and in 1933 three of them merged to form the North Caucasus Industrial Institute, which became Sergo Ordzhonikidze Novocherkassk Industrial Institute in 1934.
In February 1948, the University was renamed Sergo Ordzhonikidze Novocherkassk Polytechnic Institute, in July 1993 Novocherkassk State Technical University (Novocherkassk Polytechnic Institute), in February 1999 the South -Russian State Technical University (Novocherkassk Polytechnic Institute), and in June 2013 Platov South-Russian State Polytechnic University (NPI). The buildings of the University complex are samples of architecture of federal significance.
Nowadays, Platov South-Russian State Polytechnic University (NPI) is the largest in the South of Russia multidisciplinary educational research and innovation complex with a well-developed infrastructure and up-to-date facilities.
The University's mission is to provide the South Russian region with highly qualified engineering personnel, able to actively help in the transition of the resource-based to the innovative development of economy, to adapt quickly to the rapid pace of technological innovation, to harmonize their professional activities with socio-humanitarian problems of society, and to effectively participate in the research and development in priority areas of science and technology of the Russian Federation.
All these years the University has been a leading institution of higher education in the South of Russia, remaining committed to technically oriented training. The University has adopted the tier-based system of higher professional education. Its programs of higher and secondary vocational education, pre-university and additional vocational training are attended by over 20,000 people. There are180 doctors of sciences, professors and 890 associate professors on the University staff.
The University comprises ten faculties: Power-Engineering; Electromechanical; Chemical-Engineering; Physics and Mathematics; Civil-Engineering; Mechanical; Information Technology and Control; Innovation and Organization of Production; Geology, Mining and Oil-and-Gas Engineering; Open and Distance Learning; as well as Institute of "Graduate School of Management", Institute of International Education, Research Institute of History of the Cossacks and the Development of Cossack Regions; Military Institute, Institute of Physical Education and Sports, two colleges, 17 research laboratories, four centers for collective use; and Cross-Sectoral Regional Center of Further Training andOccupational Retraining. The University provides training of highly qualified personnel – training of PhD and Dr.Sc. students in 54 and 21 scientific specialties respectively.
Engineering company "Polytekh" and 16 small innovative enterprises have been created to help forward a scheme for commercialization of R&D results. Graduates’ qualification and efficiency are secured through their massive participation in regional and all-Russian competitions, innovation exhibitions and competitions for scientific developments. Since 2005, the University has hosted all-Russian review competitions of scientific and technical creativity of students "EUREKA", which normally involve representatives of all federal districts and about160 Russian universities.
The University has established the Graduate School of Management that provides the most relevant Master training programs in order to prepare highly skilled specialists perfectly combining engineering and managerial skills; as well as the Military Institute providing training of reserve officers, aimed at students interested in obtaining a military specialty, in three skill profiles: flying, engineering, and communications, which has been successfully operating at the University for many years.
In October 2013, the Research Institute of History of the Cossacks and the Development of Cossack Regions was set up to study the history of the Cossacks and those key populations who live in the Cossack regions, and promote ethnic tolerance in today's youth.
The University is a recognized center for training engineers for foreign countries, offering training to more than 200 representatives of 26 foreign countries on higher professional education programs. The University is a member of the consortium of European programs TEMPUS and Erasmus Mundus. It has been implementing a number of educational programs in the promising areas of science and technology together with German leading technical universities and South Westphalia University of Applied Sciences.
Research and education activities are conducted in areas related to fast-growing and strategically important industries of the Russian Federation, which is shown by the close interaction with a number of major domestic and foreign companies and corporations.
The University career- information and employment centers make determined efforts relevant to the needs of the regional labor market to provide graduates with opportunities for careers and professional growth, ensuring the job placement ratio of 80% of graduates within their major of study. The policy of the strengthening of cooperation with employers is realized through long-term contracts. Currently the contracts are signed with 14 major industrial associations and enterprises, such as OJSC " Baltika-Rostov ", OJSC " Мineral and chemical company EuroChem ", "ABB Ltd", OJSC "IDGG of Centre" and others, which allow simultaneous curricular practical training of up to 400 students. A contract has been signed with "PC"NEVZ" Ltd to open at this plant the Department of Land Transport for the training of dedicated experts on the basis of "PC "NEVZ".
In 2010, the University was one of 26 universities - winners of the "Russian Volunteer Centers" competition. In 2011, the University launched the Center for training volunteers for the XXII Olympic Winter Games and XI Paralympic Winter Games of 2014 in Sochi. The Center’s strategic area is to promote universal values, the values of the Olympic and Paralympic Movements, and healthy lifestyle. Based on the performance in 2012, the University Volunteer Center was ranked first among the volunteer centers in Russia.
The University leadership is ready to interact with authorities at all levels. Local, regional, as well as federal and international events have been held within the walls of the University, among them the meeting of the Coordinating Council of Employers of the Southern Federal District, round tables of the World Congress of the Cossacks, meetings with the directors of the Cossack cadet corps and other educational institutions. They address issues dealing with the participation of entrepreneurs in providing job places for South - Russian graduates, management training for the Great Don Army, the Development of the Cossacks and Cossack regions, and encouraging students to take part in the volunteer movement.
According to the 2013 contest "100 Best Universities and Research Institutes of Russia" Platov South-Russian State Polytechnic University (NPI) is one of the Russia's top hundred universities and awarded the gold medal.